Many of us are sheltered in place with partners, family members, or roommates. Some are thrilled about the quality time spent with loved ones, others not so much. We’re bickering, tense, and in some situations, the isolation is a breeding ground for abuse. On Ep. 125 of American Sex Podcast Dr. Chris Donaghue gives us coping and communication strategies we can use with people we’re quarantined with. Learn how this pandemic affects libido and how to deal with desire discrepancy, get tips for setting boundaries with difficult housemates, find out how to use sensory experiences to find solitude, plus learn to identify hidden signs of depression/anxiety and which mental health strategies can help. Dr. Chris also gives us the reassurance we need to address our guilt about not being productive in quarantine and reveals why it’s important to focus on self-care, relaxation, and restoration.
Dr. Chris Donaghue Bio
Dr. Chris Donaghue is an international lecturer, therapist, and educator. Dr Donaghue is the Director of Clinical Education for The Sexual Health Alliance (SHA) and the host of the relaunched “LoveLine” nightly radio show, co-host of the Amber Rose Show with Dr Chris podcast, weekly expert on “The Amber Rose Show”, and frequent co host on “The Doctors” tv show. He previously hosted WE tv’s “Sex Box”and Logo tv’s “Bad Sex”. He has been featured on The Today Show, VICE, CNN, HLN, OWN, Nightline, Dr Drew and in Newsweek, New York Times, Daily Beast, Mens Health, Cosmo, and National Geographic and has been published in various journals and magazines.
Author of the books “Rebel Love” and “Sex Outside the Lines: Authentic Sexuality in a Sexually Dysfunctional Culture”.
Dr. Donaghue has lectured at prestigious Universities including USC, UCLA, and Princeton as well as being the keynote at various professional conferences such as Chicago Ideas Week, American Association for Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT), and The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS).
Dr. Chris Donaghue is a Doctor of Clinical Sexology and Human Sexuality, Doctoral trained in Clinical Psychology, Licensed Clinical Therapist, a Certified Sex Therapist and a Certified Sexologist.
Dr. Donaghue practices general psychology, and specializes in individual and couples sex, relational, and marital therapy. His areas of focus include sexual and relational trauma work, sexual compulsivity, sexual dysfunctions, body image issues, body dysmorphia, body positivity, gender, and non-traditional sexuality, identities, and relationships. His work is also with diverse individuals, including all gender expressions, sexual orientations, and A kink is an uncommon sexual behaviour or activity. Examples... More/BDSM/Poly issues. His office is located in Los Angeles.
Dr. Donaghue is a member of American Association of Sex Counselors, Educators, and Therapists (AASECT), the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS), and the American College of Sexologists (ACS).
p.s. Please subscribe to American Sex & rate us on Apple Podcasts/iTunes. And if you really dig us, consider becoming a member of our Patreon family. All Patreon members get our episodes early and access to our exclusive feed. You also get episodes made exclusively for Patreon members, podcast stickers, surprises in the mail, a personal video greeting & more for as little as $3 a month. Thanks!
Episode 125 Links
- Dr. Chris DonaghueWebsite https://www.drchrisdonaghue.com/
- Dr. Chris Donaghue Instagram https://www.instagram.com/drdonaghue/
- Dr. Chris Donaghue Twitter https://twitter.com/ChrisDonaghue
- Dr. Chris Donaghue Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheChrisDonaghue/
- Dr. Chris Donaghue’s daily COVID-19 mental health radio show, “I’m Listening: Stay Connected” https://www.radio.com/news/dr-chris-donaghue-to-host-im-listening-stay-connected#//
- Rebel Love Book https://www.runningpress.com/titles/chris-donaghue/rebel-love/9780762465347/
- Sex Outside the Lines: Authentic Sexuality in a Sexually Dysfunctional Culture Book https://www.amazon.com/Sex-Outside-Lines-Authentic-Dysfunctional/dp/1940363780/
- Abortion issues under COVID-19 https://rewire.news/article/2020/03/23/state-officials-try-to-end-abortion-during-covid-19-crisis/
- American Sex Ep 124 about online sex & BDSM http://sunnymegatron.com/quarantinelife-sex-coronavirus/
- Fender music lessons app free for 3 months for the first 100k signups https://www.fender.com/play
- Down Dog Family of app free until 5/1/20 (includes Down Dog, Yoga for Beginners, HIIT, Barre, and 7 Minute Workout) https://www.downdogapp.com/. If you’re a student, teacher (K-12 or college) or healthcare worker get free access until July 1st.
- YMCA classes online free https://ymca360.org/on-demand#/
- List of free entertainment, stress-relieving, and educational resources https://myquarantinelist.bookmark.com/
- 40 free mental health resources (books, worksheets, workbooks, guides) to help others cope with anxiety/fear, addiction, depression, suicidal ideation, and stress https://mega.nz/#F!EJAAxAQb!LMB6J2qabOQhMiN1eq5a0A
- Giddy ED Guide free during isolation period https://getmegiddy.com/ed-guide-video-library/
- Art games, education & more https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EVMQiHHKugF4RQ071DzimkSKn1AuiBNOJ-i6xs1mBts/preview?fbclid=IwAR3BVJMCcW1XV_UFjVQ_j8QvSd7ATvL1BW3DXGiYd5i_1w8L75FAlQPuCPQ
- Support for creators http://sunnymegatron.com/support-during-coronavirus/
- Spouses share what they learned about their partner under quarantine https://www.workingmother.com/spouses-share-hilarious-things-theyve-learned-about-their-partner-working-from-home?
- Leveler peer-to-peer wealth distribution http://leveler.info
- Domestic Violence & other safety resources during shelter in place https://www.futureswithoutviolence.org/get-updates-information-covid-19
- Cards Against Humanity online https://www.businessinsider.com/cards-against-humanity-virtually-online-video-chat-how-to-play-2020-3?fbclid=IwAR1x_z90JgmeGo4IMoPlsMmpgI1WMWJu2TJVbcl-SuS0FDl1Dbu-0EnBAqo
- DBT 911 app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.annadroid.Dbt112&hl=en_US&fbclid=IwAR2bGdc1k_fv039PhuG5Uob7SLl3LdNhPDWsNuQ5Ded2WS3syg9h-OMDX1A
- About DBT https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/dbt.htm?fbclid=IwAR1imIZ2PRkCWvHH6qszePAmH7GBQ0RNC_xWoZN8Lw8kRLQGIxfYJm7MISY
- DBT Skills List https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/dbt_skills_list.html?fbclid=IwAR1JcmoLQBXTyYJk4y3tLF_oRNXXsT1mOUXvUxgEJAbg1eG67-D3RHTB040
- Thought Challenger app https://intellicare.cbits.northwestern.edu/app/thoughtchallenger?fbclid=IwAR1g3EVRhNr1bFJOIdfdWLPwNhbmNkAJiExtqFQXpNZoU1TmljrusWO2RHM
- Intellicare Apps https://intellicare.cbits.northwestern.edu/?fbclid=IwAR0v-LQegtaA6dstnIU_qvE0AqrjCxVc5czmfEQQObmI6DtVg2cRtCjKQ6o
- 4×4 breathing technique https://youtu.be/treM-7QN1-Q
- Pineapple Support (sliding scale/free mental health resources for sex workers) https://pineapplesupport.org/
- Get your first week of online/tech-based therapy with Talkspace FREE by using code SUNNY at http://talkspace.com
- American Sex Podcast subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/americansexpodcast
- Wednesday night free American Sex podcast live stream, Aural Sex with Midori, 4/1/20 8pm PST http://bit.ly/sunnygetvokl
Originally posted: http://sunnymegatron.com/love-relationships-lockdown/